Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Visitation

Have you ever had someone read love across the wrinkles in the palm of your hand? I have. We sat in a room filled with tables and children. Their eyes constantly shifted from ceiling to floor seeing nothing. Several of our missionaries sat beside them and felt the children caress their hands and wrists. My hands were held individually by a twelve year old boy. He explored my knuckles and wrist until finally his fingers found my wedding ring. I explained that the wring belonged to my wife which meant I belonged to her. He smiled.
My fingers began dancing in the hands of the young boy as a room full of blind children sang the most beautiful melodies. Each table belted out a separate harmony singing "It's a small world after all". Across the room, tears spilled over Leslie's cheeks. A child clung desperately to her neck. We did our best to match their enthusiasm while singing the same song in English.
We were led into a courtyard. All the children came out to meet us and receive candy and multi edged toys that were tactilely interesting. They caressed stuffed animals and traded between one another eager to learn the new objects.
As is the norm in honduras, even in a blind school, a soccer match broke out between the gringos (us) and the children. I'm ashamed to say that I did my best to steal an eight inch hard plastic ball from a little blind girl. I'm even more ashamed to admit that I couldn't do it. God has certainly given her functioning senses an extra portion of strength.
All too soon we left the crowd of smiling children to head back to our compound for dinner of pork chops and a devotional led by Morgan McNabb. Many people shared stories of how Jesus has touched their lives today either in the hospital, or the blind school. I guess I should tell you about that too. But I won't. Have you ever had someone read love across the wrinkles in the palm of your hand?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Paul. You did good. We love you and appreciate all you do. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. What a great story. The blind school will "steal" your tears for sure!

    ReplyDelete