Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Daniel Morphew's Experience

Daniel Morphew's Thoughts on our tripDay 1:
It's hard to describe the feelings and anxieties that occur before beginning a mission trip and the fact I've never been on a mission trip doesn't help at all. I did a lot of praying before our departure and while i was planning this through. The first day seemed to go well and our travel was good. My mother-in-law, Jodi, was delayed but I believe she was the only person who was slowed down. Since this was the only issue that arose I would definitely say that God was looking out for us. At the airport in Honduras we met up with the other TORCH members and secured our luggage on the bus. Now most people would assume that the bus would be right out front but not in honduras. It was parked in a lot with a bunch of other buses and cars. It was more like a sardine car lot as close as they were parked together. This lot was located away from the entrance kind of like the rental lot would be at most airports. either way, once our belongings were safe, we set out for nourishment. There were a handful of fast food places nearby. Most of us went to Church's Chicken while the rest went to Burger King. If you thought deciding what to order was hard in the states then you should try ordering when you can't read or speak the language. I ordered a simple chicken, or pollo, sandwich combo. I was told to make sure and get my drink with no ice. This would make sure I could function normally the next day. There are so many things we take for granted each day and they become evident when we leave our comfort zone.
Dinner went well and then we were off to Julio's, this would be the place we would lay our head until the twenty ninth arrives. Now I know a lot of people think Columbus, MS is crowded with traffic but it doesn't even compare to the traffic here in Honduras. The amount of people honking their horns is outrageous and almost amusing at the same time. It is definitely a game of, "He who has the biggest vehicle wins." Thank goodness we were in a bus. Some lane changing and a lot of honking later we arrived at Julio's.
From the outside everything looks very modern and convenient. Julio has a nice house and it is way more than I ever expected or deserve.
Oh, I forgot about our "great box relocation". Before arriving at Julio's we went to Mi Esperanza to gather our boxes that came over in our container. We were lucky that someone had unloaded them into a room for us but we now had to sort and move them. It didn't take too long but I know there were times when I moved the same box at least three times. We managed to get all the boxes we could loaded onto three trucks and the bus we were in. The rest of the boxes would stay behind until another day.
Now back to Julio's. I was saying that everything was very nice. We have a great room for dining, nice bedrooms with bathrooms, and a staff that even cooks for us. God is truly taking care of us on this trip. Everyone is so friendly and glad to meet you. It just goes to show you that a smile goes a long way. I say that because I don't speak spanish. Well, after all the traveling, I was definitely ready for bed. The next day would involve a house build and a trip up the mountain

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome reading Daniel's thoughts. Totally loved it. Anyone that gives these updates any thought at all realize how fortunate everyone on the trip is to have not gotten sick, hurt, or disappointed about the experience. I am so happy to hear everyone has good food and accomadations and health and strength to do much work for the Lord. Continue to update. So interesting.

    ReplyDelete