Saturday, June 25, 2011

Emily Chaffin's day

I knew God would have lessons to teach me here, I just had no idea it would be so soon. We landed in this wonderful country, and the lesson began. My selfishness becomes more apparent with every second I am in this fantastic place.
After arriving in Tegucigalpa, we boarded a TORCH bus. As we boarded a man came and took some bags to the back of the bus. He was so dirty and apparently injured his hand somehow. As he was leaving he asked several people for one dollar. Several people gave him some money. I just sat there motionless. For some reason I was scared. Eventually he got off but I haven't forgotten that moment yet. Who am I to be afraid here? How selfish can I be to be unwilling to give this man some money? Too selfish to act, I did not feed the hungry. What a blessing it is to know that others did what I was unwilling to do. However, I have a new opportunity to serve the Lord today through God's grace and mercy. Thanking the Lord today for a well deserved slap in face. I am selfish. That changes today.

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Em,
    I can assure you that we have all let opportunities slip though our fingers. The important thing to do is to not let fear and doubt obscure your vision for what God has in store for you. It is through HIS power, and HIS power alone that you will be able to accomplish those things that He has in store for you. God has a purpose for you. Ephesians 2:10 Do not let a failed opportunity weigh you down; but instead let it propel you forward as you serve HIM.

    Grace, Peace, and continued prayers,
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily
    Im so glad that you are enjoying Honduras!
    I thank God for people like you who are willing to serve in Gods name to other countries. I miss you and I love you!
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I would NEVER associate the word selfish with your name. I have known ever since you walked into my third grade gifted classroom that you have an open mind and a giving heart. You and your family exemplify Christianity every day in the way you live your lives. Give a Kristin Monahan an extra smile and a hug from us as this is her first trip to Honduras - Sylvia Johnson Collins

    ReplyDelete