Sunday, June 22, 2014

Honduras 101

Sorry we didn't post yesterday. The internet was not agreeable with our efforts. I'll include several entries in this post.

Here's what Sara McCafferty had to say.
The plane ride was very exciting. I was very nervous at first, but the nerves went away quickly. As I rode in the window seat I was in such awe. Riding through the bright blue sky reminded me of how awesome our God really is. The landing was kind of bumpy but it felt like we were on a roller coaster. I had a blast! Then we ate Church's Chicken. It was very interesting. The chocolate biscuits were amazing. Afterwards we rode through town, people everywhere, horns honking, cutting people off, cars nonstop. We then loaded the truck with lots of boxes. So by then we headed to the campano, where I write now. The food was okay, but the devo really gave me a new perspective. Love knows no bounds. Language will one day be nothing.  God is love.

Greg Mock,
The trip has begun well. Our new efforts to work in Honduras with the churches instead of around the churches seems to already be bearing much fruit. Also, my opportunity to speak with Gayle Davidson has me excited about what is to come.

Paul
A huge thank you goes out to Ellen Mock who took care of all the small things for the group of nineteen on our trip. Things like buying plane tickets and booking hotel rooms. Flying Delta is a great blessing. Having a direct flight makes all the difference in the world as far as fatigue is concerned. Thank you thank you thank you. Many of you may think that a bacon cheeseburger and fries for breakfast would be a poor nutrition choice. Matt Warren would beg to differ.
Our Delta pilot was a throwback to better, or at least more unaware days. When two people were late boarding the plane he stalled by letting passengers check out the cockpit and even get photos in his hat. I'll share a couple of pics with you in a later post.
Our three hour flight was like a baseball game. There was a moment of excitement at the beginning, boredom and smalltalk in the middle, and then some intense nervousness and prayer at the end followed by exuberant applause. The landing in Honduras is where all the action is.
We disembarked the plane into the refreshing 82 degree weather and were greeted by the smiling face of Tim Hines decked out in suit and tie. At first I thought he dressed up for me. I found out he was organizing a tour for his group through the presidential palace. I guess that's worth dressing up for. Secretly I still think it was for me.
For the five Americans reading this who are soccer fans, you know that this is world cup season. That means everyone in Honduras is crazy. They're gathered around tv's dressed in blue and white jerseys craning their necks to watch every kick and faked injury on the field. The fandom became evident when, while we were traveling to our home, the city erupted in cheers and dancing. Honduras had scored a goal.
As always, we had one detour. We stopped at the Mi Esperanza (my hope) warehouse and loaded up a mount Fuji of boxes. The Honduran men stacked them like a perfect Tetris tower in the back of a flatbed truck. I'm particularly amazed by this because I can't even stack a three high pallet of uniform pine straw bales and go for one mile without one of them falling in to the street.
Our day ended with a particularly touching commentary from Irma, our benefactor who lost her husband Julio, at our devotional. She told us of a missionary group who came to her village. They brought crank up record players and shared the gospel with them. If there was ever a question of whether or not a person of God could make a difference by spending a few short days in a foreign country, it was answered in the joy of her voice.

3 comments:

  1. Dear all,
    Sara M. so glad you survived that landing..you are right it is a roller coaster ride that is scary. I know you will be a blessing to everyone in our group and I hope you are very blessed too.

    Greg please give Gayle Davidson a hug for me...what a precious sister she is to so many. She gives her all and then some.
    All of you always bear fruit on these trips. I always feel your love for others produces lasting fruit like endurance, character, and hope. When I read about all of your good deeds and acts of kindness It draws me to God in breathtaking ways. It achieves a weight of glory that is beyond all comparison. Praise God for keeping you all safe so far.

    Paul, dear son ( in law) you always make me smile. Here at home or when you are far away. Love reading your words of wisdom. Keep the daily news coming please. Give Tim our love and a hug from the Freeman's. He looks good in a suit and tie. And accomplishes so much while in Honduras. Such a servant.

    Love and prayers, Ginger Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been anxiously awaiting news. Thank you for blogging. Praying for you all...continually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd answer your phone when Greg calls maybe you'd have the news you claim to so desperately desire.

      Delete