Wednesday, June 23, 2010

my experience

:)

For my first time coming to Honduras, there was only a number of things I could prepare myself for. After watching the video about the dump previously, I had been warned about the terrible smell and the people competing against the buzzards for food. But arriving at the Dump was an experience and a feeling I'll never forget. I have never felt so helpless in my life; I don't speak Spanish, and even if I did, what could I possibly say to these people that would make a difference? I was very hesistant to communicate, smile, or even make eye contact with them. It was hard seeing kids my age and younger looking through piles and piles of garbage for any sort of food and clothing. Back at home, if I want something, I just drive up to the store and get what I want, but here, people search and gather items all day that are possibly worth something. I felt so many emotions at one time; sad, for the people there, guilty, simply because we're the ones with a home and a bed to sleep in, and grateful, for the things I've been given that I take for granted. The Dump is a place I'll never forget.

But on a brighter note.....:)

Today we went to the childrens' hospital, so we were all excited to be with little kids. It was amazing seeing how happy the kids got when we walked into the room holding bags of toys, coloring books, and crayons. I can honestly say that I've never seen a kid with a broken leg hop so fast just to get a stuffed animal :) . Although seeing children with cancer and going through chemo was really tough for me, it was great knowing that we made their day better just by sitting down and coloring with them. :)


So even though I'm far away from home and I miss everybody, I'm having an amazing time, and I'm 100% positive everyone else is too :) .

Adios,
Emily Evans :)

9 comments:

  1. Emily, Hola! I know it must be difficult seeing some of the things you are this week ... so proud of you for wanting to do this. I can't imagine what the Dump was like in person - there is only so much you can get out of a video. Love reading about your visit to the hospital today - I know you enjoyed that. How did the house-building go?

    Can't wait for you all to get back and share more of your stories.

    Love you so much, mi hija.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, thanks so much for the update. I have been thinking about you every minute and wondering how you are doing. I cannot imagine what it is really like at the dump, but I am proud of you for wanting to do this. Love you! Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I'm so proud of you for using some of your summer to make a difference for the people of Honduras. I'm sure you probably thought that you were going to try to bless them, but you probably see now that they will bless your heart as well. I went on a mission trip to Venezuela back several years ago so I can relate to what you are experiencing. I'm sure that this will be an experience that you will never forget.
    God bless you! April Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Emily,
    God speaks all languages--including yours and what God has spoken to you and you have shared with us is so special. And sometimes He speaks the "language of affliction". Talk about a subject we avoid. But both you and I both know how clearly God speaks in hospital hallways and sick beds.

    Scripture: Accept teaching from his mouth and keep his words in your heart. Job22:22

    What a beautiful heart you have Emily. I know that poverty is so hard to see.

    I know that He has given wealth to these who are poor through deep friendships you will make with many people who care about the poor.

    Thank you for this heartwarming report.
    love, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, Hola! Whats up girlie? Hows Honduras? i miss you and love you lots! You and Anna both! That is a great report I got from you! You are such a joy and a blessing to God and it makes him so happy to see you and the church group that went with you change someones life forever! You have a wonderful heart and I am truly thankful to have you as a friend! I miss you so much and love you so much! :) You are in my prayers! see you when yall get back!

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Emily - Proud of you and your effort to give back to the world. Aren't we in Mississippi blessed beyond our fair measure -- A grateful attitude and remembrances of those who are indeed less fortunate to have simply been born in such poor conditions are motivational tools to help keep life situations in proportion in our lives. I know that you made a life-long memory for a person who may not always remember your name but will forever remember seeing Christianity in you. Sylvia and Roger Collins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks yall :) The trip is going great. I wish everyone could experience the same thing we are. see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im glad its going great Emily! Im so proud of you for making people smile! :) i miss you and the church group so much and I cant wait to hear your stories and comments about what yall did! I love yall very much!
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete